Thank you for your consideration of becoming a Yippie Mentor. We hope you will say “yes.” Your friendship, belief in and encouragement of a homeless, foster care or low-income level youth just might make all the difference in the world.
Here are some details to help you with your decision:
1. We request a 6-month commitment with weekly contact — at least a minimum of two (2) one-hour in-person meetings and two (2) 15 minutes telephone check-in (unless you are ill or out-of-town) — each month.
2. We invite you to continue occasional mentoring/check-ins for an additional 3 months after the work program to help your mentee transition.
3. All new mentors must attend a 1.5 hour training that will be scheduled around your calendar. We will also provide a Mentors’ Training every 2 months which we encourage you to attend.
4. You can also get Live Scan fingerprinting before your mentor training at Angelman’s Inc, (707-693-1947).
5. We will provide a Yippie Foundation Mentoring manual and exercises that will cover goal setting in specific areas. These goal setting exercises are to be completed during your Mentor/Mentee meetings. Additional activities include the suggested following:
- Completion of a mentee financial plan
- 6 hours of job-shadowing
- 4 hours of career-related activities such as Chamber events and job fairs
- Help mentee obtain a library card and become familiar with the library’s employment programs
- Two hours of community service together
6. We encourage the mentor/mentee group to collaborate to provide a community service event.